Georgetown, Great Exuma

Georgetown, Great Exuma
There is a Paradise!!!!

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Admirals june 1st edition

Now that we’re retired, time really seems to fly! Seems like I just wrote an update, yet here I am again. It’s those emails I’ve been writing in between, that are fouling me up. But I will not stop writing. I love to get emails with news from home. But, if I don’t write any emails, I won’t get any in return!!
The weather here just keeps getting hotter and hotter. It will be sunny all day long, then around dusk a thunderstorm will roll through. Last night the thunder and lightning started up, and boy was it loud. Then the rain . And of course the humidity was at an all time high! But, it has produced some fabulous sunsets.
My whole philosophy on when is the best time to take a shower, has turned completely around. I was getting up every morning and taking a shower to start the day. Within an hour, I was ready for another shower! Now, I shower late at night, before bed. That way, I sleep feeling cool and clean, and stay that way after I wake up, for a couple of hours anyway. Sweat has become a fact of life. The girls I used to work with all know how much I hate being hot and sweaty. It’s like one really long hot flash!!! I live for air conditioning, fans, and shade.
The mosquito count is getting lower. Thank God for Avon’s Skin-So-Soft! I went on line and stocked up. It just so happens that it was on sale for half price.(that rarely happens to me!) On the other hand, the right one to be exact, I now have a spider bite. My hand is swollen up like a balloon (makes it hard to type). I went to the local urgent care clinic this morning. They prescribed 2 antibiotics and an antihistamine. So, off I went to Publix pharmacy, where I got both antibiotics for FREE (they believe in helping people get well!!). I’m trying to be patient, waiting for my hand to deflate.
Boy! This is sounding a bit depressing. I really am glad to be here, but I cannot wait for the boat to go back in the water. Dave is working very hard with all of his installations. He is being very careful not to lift anything, at least while I’m around.
One of my new jobs is to be the iceman. At least every other day, I must go get ice for the refrigerator. It comes in 16 lb. bags. Dave ties a line to each bag, and I haul it up on deck.
Another new job is keeping the local Lab, “Roxy”, supplied with treats. I am her new best friend! Like all the Labs I grew up with, she LOVES cheese. I’m not sure she realizes that she is my treat!
Speaking of treats, Dave and I had an awesome time meeting up with Austin and Cindy over the holiday weekend. Nice to see them looking so relaxed and happy! The trip up to Charleston, South Carolina was about 4 and a half hours. We decided that we would be better off driving a more reliable car than the old Nissan Sentra we are currently using. So, we went to the airport and rented a Toyota Prius. 50 miles per gallon made the decision a wise one. It was very comfortable and very quiet! It was kind of like driving a golf cart on steroids.
In addition to the good company, we also ate some outstanding food! Friday night, Cindy and I shared a bucket of snow crab. So sweet and tender. We ate and ate, and still could not eat it all. But the best meal was at a BBQ place called “Sticky Fingers”. I had some of the best ribs ever!! AND, they had a sweet potato casserole that was to die for!!!!! It was fun to watch Austin so enjoy that meal!!
The fun part of the trip to Fort Sumter was the boat ride. I couldn’t get enough of the salt air!! AND, I saw my first dolphins!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I really want to get the boat into the water and get sailing.
Before we knew it, it was time to say good bye. Boy, was that tough! However, knowing we will be seeing them later this summer up in the Chesapeake, made it a little easier. Plus, Matt, Jacinda and James will be there also!!
Hope all is well with all of you. I keep trying to send some sun your way. We could sure use a little less. Some temps in the high 70’s or low 80’s would be just great. Hopefully, once we set sail my blog entries will be a little more interesting. Until then…..
Love & Hugs,
Patti

4 comments:

Stratafox said...

Hi,

Very funny, "Golf cart on steroids". Heh heh heh Mom and Dad would love that. The girls an I are going to Seattle later this month to visit and I am sure they will get a kick out of your comment.

Keep well and Dave should set up a web cam on his hat or in the area that he is working on. Then we can can tell when he may be ripping wounds,...and scold him.

Luv u guys,

Mark

ML said...

I, too, wish you could send us some sunshine. Today on the mountain we are in the clouds (fog) and it's raining. Found out yesterday that we got 6.8" more rain this Jan thru May than in same period during 2009! Somebody lied to us about "sunny" eastern WA.

Glad to hear you took care of that spider bite promptly.

Love, ML

Neris said...

Just got caught up on your recent posts.
Glad to hear you are making progress - in spite of all the hiccups (pardon the bad hernia pun).
Not much to report from the West coast - RYN is still the same battle, and spring has still not arrived (send some of that sunshine our way!). I did get all of my girls out on the water last weekend - each in their own kayak, and no one fell out!
Take care, and keep the posts coming.

Unknown said...

love your blog....blog on!